2006-02-23

Seven Things About Myself I need to Admit, nay, Embrace and Move On

I'm a firm believer in the idea that for every area of our lives that we fix a personal bug, there are ten where we can at best find a workaround. In the spirit of that, here is a list of things that I need to learn to live with rather than try to change:
  1. I rarely dress warmly enough. I guess it's a vestige of my five-year-old self rebelling against my Mom's admonition to wear a jacket. But it's stupid, and it makes me uncomfortable and often cranky. Time to buy more sweaters.
  2. I like listening to movie scores. I realize that's about as low-brow on the instrumental music scale as you can get, but we all deserve a few guilty pleasures. Movie scores are like show tunes for people who take themselves too seriously (no, wait—that's opera), but goddammit, I like them.
  3. I am a geek. And I need to stop trying to impress the non-geeks on the playground with various stunts (like fast cars and big speakers) and start doing what makes me happy.
  4. I need to make a budget. It's a bit like when I finally learned, after three and a half years of college, that I have to study. It's no fun, but as they say, sometimes we have to do things we don't like so that we can do things we do like.
  5. I need to sleep a lot. At least nine hours in a night to feel well rested, which unfortunately isn't compatible with both having a social life and working for my current supervisor. Huh.
  6. I'm hard on my possessions, especially if they're white and made by Apple. I just can't be bothered to put that little buttplug into my iPod's dock connector, and I'm not going to get one of those silly cell-phone holsters. There's a reason they're pocked-sized.
  7. I have frustratingly incompatible tendencies toward perfectionism and impatience. Which means I always alternate between procrastinating and rushing my work. I'm not sure what the workaround to this one is. Let me know if you figure it out.

That is all. I'll spare you the story of my dream where an IKEA store was hosting a clothing-optional rave. Although that pretty much covers it, so I guess I'm not sparing you anything today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home